2004 Jordan Institute
10, No. 1
Key Points in this Issue
- Adoptive families’ need for services and supports may continue long after the adoption is finalized.
- In North Carolina, public agencies have an obligation to provide this support.
- Critical first steps are (1) helping families understand they may need support and (2) telling them you and your agency are committed to ensuring that they receive support if they need it.
- Adoptive parents say some of their most important support needs are for information about the resources available to them, access to support groups and contact with other adoptive parents, respite, and additional education.
- The NC Division of Social Services is striving to help public agencies provide ongoing support to adoptive families.
for this and other articles in this issue