2000 Jordan Institute
Vol. 4, No.
and Prevention: What You Can Do
- Learn to recognize the symptoms of substance abuse and use.
- Incorporate the CAGE or another screening tool into your initial meetings
- Understand ethics and confidentiality as they relate to substance
- Develop your knowledge of substance abuse treatment strategies and
keep up to date on the treatment resources in your community.
- Build a relationship with the Qualified Substance Abuse Professional
(QSAP) in your agency and/or a substance abuse clinician at the nearest
mental health center.
- Learn about the protective factors that help children and adults avoid
becoming involved with drugs and alcohol.
- Increase your knowledge of the resources and programs in your community
that help people develop their resiliency.
© 1999 Jordan
Institute for Families